Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Love Or Lie?

If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar...
1 John 4:20

I recently learned that a brother in Christ, who had broken trust with me and caused hurt to many others, had finally been found guilty of his crime and imprisoned...literally hand-cuffed and hauled off to jail. Can you guess how I responded to the news? I was happy! A feeling of self-righteous vindication welled up in me.

Then God reminded me of the many times I had broken trust with Him and caused hurt to others. The fact that my failures were not illegal doesn’t change the fact that I’m still reaping the consequences. Neither does it mean that I need God’s grace and forgiveness any less than my incarcerated brother.

Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you...Luke 6:28

Lord, please help me to bless rather than curse, and pray rather than gloat over this fallen brother, so I can say “I love God,” and not be found a liar.

No comments:

Post a Comment