Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Senior Blessings

I’m fifty-something years old; I am officially allowed to park in the “Seniors” spaces in the church parking lot (though my pride won’t allow me to do so); I have five grandchildren I adore; but I’m still blessed with the youth to call my Daddy’s house every morning and ask, “How’s Grandmother doing today?”

At ninety-five, her body is failing her. But her mind and spirit are strong. I think of her when I read, “...the older women likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things—that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed.” Titus 2:3-5.

All of my life, my Grandmother has been reverent in her behavior, a teacher of good things, chaste, and she still honors the memory of her husband, as she honored him in life. What a blessing it has been to have had her in my life all of these years.

I am grateful for each day that God blesses us with her continued presence. But I’m even more grateful for the time in eternity God has already granted us to be with Him and each other forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment