Tuesday, February 24, 2009

My Pride and Joy

My Pride and Joy...That phrase suddenly hit me as odd today. I’ve often introduced my children and/or grandchildren as my “pride and joy.” But today, the connection of these two words has an oxymoron feel—a contradiction in terms.

I guess this new insight could be attributed to the fact that I had a little run-in with my pride this week, which knocked my joy right on its backside!

The obvious truth is that there is good pride, and there is bad pride. The good kind brings us joy. The bad kind drives joy away.

The pride we feel in others makes our hearts joyful. Our own selfish pride causes joy to flee from our hearts. And seeing that Joy has moved out, Anger and Resentment move in...Unwelcome guests indeed!

Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall. Proverbs 16:18.

My Pride and Joy...Thank you, Lord, for knocking me in the “pride” to make room for more joy!

1 comment:

  1. VERY well said!! I never thought of it that way before, but it is soooo very true!

    ReplyDelete