Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Sore Muscles

After several weeks away from the gym, I recently returned to my workout...and my body is mad. It had gotten accustomed to sleeping late and functioning more or less from a sedentary position again. The muscles that were showing signs of definition had once more slid behind layers of soft, comfy cellulite. How dare I require them to rise from their slumber and train to be fit!

After any length of time away from my spiritual training...quiet time, Bible study, prayer...my spirit gets mad too. My sedentary spirit slides behind layers of peevishness and self-service. How dare the Lord require me to endure some test or other that will cause me to stretch and grow!

Thank God for sore spiritual muscles. Keep me on my toes, dear Lord, so I can see above myself.

...train yourself to be godly. For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come. I Timothy 4:7b-8

1 comment:

  1. This is such a good reminder, and well said! I always know when my spiritual muscles are weaker because it impacts the way I react to EVERYTHING.

    ReplyDelete